Music therapy by a professional such as those on Kardon’s staff can bring positive changes in psychological, genitive or social functioning to persons with health or educational problems.
- Assess emotional well-being, physical health, social functioning, communication abilities and cognitive skills through musical responses.
- Design music sessions for individuals and groups based on client needs using:
- Music improvisation
- Receptive music listening
- Song writing
- Lyric discussion
- Music and imagery
- Music performance
- Learning through music.
- And participate in interdisciplinary treatment planning, ongoing evaluation and follow-up.
Populations that can benefit from Music Therapy include children, adolescents, adults and the elderly with:
- Mental health needs
- Developmental and learning disabilities
- Alzheimer’s disease and other aging-related conditions
- Substance abuse problems
- Brain injuries
- Physical disabilities
- Eating disorders
- Acute and chronic pain
Music Therapy is available at all Kardon Institute program locations.
Here is a video of Elliot and his therapist, Ed during a Spring 2010 recital. Elliot has been a music therapy client for several years. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyo7mPRA9kc